BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Tiptoe to the Sun

...and do things I know you like...

It's two-week-old news, but Valentine's day was amazing. To be honest, I might still be reeling off the natural high of it all. All my craziness had finally calmed down, and lucky me, he had managed to overlook most of it anyway. I hopped in the car Friday afternoon amped to see Dionne before she headed to her hometown for the weekend. The rest of the three-day weekend would be spent with him.

Upon my arrival, Dionne, her law school friends and I pre-gamed for what seemed like forever, then headed out. After a relaxing time at a hookah bar, we tried to see what other mischief we could get into. Unfortunately, the small, southern college-town had little else to offer that night. We ended up in Jimmy John's for late night munchies, when none other than the boy and his roommate walked through the door.

It was all smiles and fireworks from there. Though I had promised Dionne I would spend the night at her place that night... I just couldn't. She understood though. Bridesmaids are good for that sort of thing...

"What do you want for breakfast," he asked the next morning. "Today is 'spoil Michele' day, so you better rack up," he said. "Eggs... and fresh fruit," I smiled. And to the grocery store we went. We walked arm in arm, sharing headphones to his iPod as he shuffled through his favorite Bob Marley songs... picking up whatever I wanted as we made our way down each aisle. "Mimosas?" I asked. "Absolutely," he said, brightening up. I'm sure it was 5 o'clock somewhere...

The weekend passed with food, television, naps, and coloring. It was blissful. I didn't have to lift a finger the entire time. Of course, I helped out here and there, washing dishes, organizing his room, and doing other non-girlfriend like things... but Saturday night was the best of all. "My mom told me I should know better - because I knew you were coming, and I didn't make reservations anywhere," he said. "I don't care," I said, meaning every word. "Honestly, I'm not even hungry."

We ended up at the bar of PF Chang, which was perfect because the All-Star Weekend Slam Dunk Contest was on. He and I took turns flirting with our female waitress over a bottle of Saki. "I'm spoiling her today," he said again. Man. Where has this person been all my life?

The pinnacle of the weekend, however, took place shortly afterwards. Full off of Chinese food and Japanese wine, we ended up at a local bar (my favorite of the city) for drinks galore... and a much needed heart-to-heart.

"Do you feel like you benefit from our friendship?" I began. "Of course," he said, "nobody else knows about me running for city council, or how I'm preparing to run for Mayor in a few years... or how much I've really changed from college," he said. "You know me better than anybody else right now."

We touched on the relationship-y elements of our friendship. "I love how fluid it is," he said, "and that you're cool with it." Hm. I had never thought of it that way.

And if I dated other people? "Who knows when we'll be living in the same city again," he said. "You're not moving here any time soon, and I can't say I'll be in New Haven two to three years from now." He was right. "But, if I woke up one morning and decided we should get married, then that would be the L. And, whoever you were dating at the time..." he trailed off. Whoa. Marriage? Really? I had to run with it. "These would be my bridesmaids!" I exclaimed counting fingers and naming names. He laughed. The groomsmen? I guessed correctly on about 4 out of 7. Not bad.

The conversation went on and on. Every so often he'd get up and request a song for me, or order another drink... We talked about our futures - individually, and potentially together. He reminded me how much I admire and respect him. He reminded me how much I had missed this... The warmth of our cozy little nook, in the midst of the loud bar, might have looked like something out of a movie.

It was sooo comfortable. It was such a relief, and so calming, and reassuring, and just... perfect.

It was perfect.

"Do you want anything? Are you comfortable? Are you hungry? Do you need something?" was all I heard all weekend. He was concerned. He was warm. He was open... as was I.

Mmm.




I think I'm in looooove again...

0 remarks...: