BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 2, 2008

An Introduction

I call it the CBE: the "Carrie Bradshaw Effect". Women everywhere are talking, writing and blogging endlessly. I'm jumping on the bandwagon... pumps and all. I've never been one to keep a consistent journal, nor a consistent group of female friends for that matter, but Carrie has inspired me.

I'm not anywhere near forty, nor am I pining away for a husband. I'm actually quite happy with my life and the way it is progressing. I'm working for a great company in a major city. I recently graduated from college, yet remain infatuated with my alma mater and everyone I encountered there. I have great friends and an incredibly supportive family. The dating scene isn't quite what I'd like for it to be, though I can't complain about it either. I'm content.

I'm content, but I find that women, young adults, minorities, entry-level employees, and other single people are not. Women complain about men. Young adults complain about not being taken seriously. Minorities complain about white people. Employees complain about their bosses. And single people complain about the need to find a significant other. Well, everyone complains... but, I can only articulately depict the complaints of the groups to which I belong.

The Single Aesthetic is about finding the beauty in any situation. It's about embracing the bull. It's about appreciating life for what it is. It's about taking those lemons, and adding salt and Patron. It's also about being SINGLE. I am a single woman in a fabulous city with amazing friends. This town is a playground and I'm enjoying every second of it. Even when we are a part of a formal "relationship", there is an element of singularity that needs to be cherished and celebrated. Though I'm not currently in a relationship... I've finally learned to appreciate my "single-ness" and bask in all of its glory!

Some of my favorite women - my friends - are developing symptoms of a terrible virus that appears to affect women everywhere. It's called the "I-Need-A-Man" Syndrome. Symptoms include long, drawn-out conversations about finding a man (though not necessarily love), bashing men, entertaining sub-standard men, rejecting good men, bashing men, participating in "boo" status for longer than three months, using "boo" status to trick men into a relationship (which never works), and bashing men.

Ah... but I have the answers. The medicine for this syndrome is in the Single Aesthetic. More on that later...

0 remarks...: