BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Pursuing Other Interests

Okay, okay. I know… it’s been awhile. I still have to find my groove with this whole blogging thing. And, as many young, single females will admit – life sometimes gets in the way. But, excuses are merely tools of the incompetent; monuments of nothingness that build bridges to nowhere; AND, those who use them seldom amount to anything… but I digress. It’s been a long time, and I’m back.

Lots of exciting things have happened in my few-week hiatus. I ventured to New York for work, caught an amazing Broadway play, finagled my way backstage to meet the principal actors, and also met a cute guy. Well, I shouldn’t say I “met” him… I’ve known him for awhile. Let’s just say, we got reacquainted. More on that later.

I left my old job. My entry-level program position expired and I was forced to relocate. Luckily, I landed in a contract/freelance position within another department in our company. I’m learning new things, continuously networking, and enhancing my life portfolio. Though the field in which I’m currently working has always interested me, after a few days here, I’m tempted to say “it’s not the right fit”. Now, I don’t want to speak too quickly, but working in a new position is almost like trying on new shoes. You need not walk a mile before you realize it’s a poor fit.

The Single Aesthetic in this new role, however, is that I’m diversifying my resume, enhancing my portfolio (as previously mentioned), and generating a plethora of new contacts for my fancy rolodex. While my lackluster responsibilities are mind-numbingly boring and, at times, an insult to my intelligence, I’m keeping the faith. I’m confident that this experience will provide new insights into the corporate world and further mold me into the kick-ass businesswoman I aspire to be.

What’s interesting is that, the senior level management from my old position was recently “let go”. LET GO!? Needless to say, I was taken aback…no, floored… no… ASTOUNDED when I learned the news. The Senior Vice President and Executive Vice President of my ENTIRE former department were now “pursuing other interests” as the company President’s politically correct e-mail stated. WTF? It explains so much though. I busted my booty for a year for these people. They couldn’t hire me upon the completion of my program as a full-time employee? At the time, I was saddened, infuriated, indifferent, annoyed and hurt simultaneously. But now, the light is shining ever so brightly, and I can see clearly. They couldn’t hire me because, little did they know, their own positions were in jeopardy. Wow.

Welp. That just means that God knows what He (or She) is doing. He pulled me out of that work environment just before the dog crap hit the ceiling fan and got on me (as a friend of mine once put it). I’m looking forward to what the future has in store. Hopefully it will include less freelancing and more permanent, full-time, benefits-eligible, overtime-paying, perks and free stuff EMPLOYMENT. Mind you, I’m not knocking the new gig. I’m still with the company, I have a desk, a computer, and my badge still gets me in the building. BUT, I share my cube with the intern (sweet girl) and my health benefits are no more. Guess I can’t get sick for three months. Good thing my old boss had me working on that cure for cancer. Should come in handy…

But, whatever. I’m working hard, playing hard, and living it up. All is well in the life of the pretty, single girl in the big city with the fabulous friends. Plus, I mean, with gas being $7 a gallon, a check is a check.

0 remarks...: