BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, May 14, 2009

This is what you call "A N!gga Moment"

So, I've been recovering from the series of unfortunate events that transpired in my life about two weeks ago. I've been doing okay. Naturally, some days have been better than others. Some nights have been harder than others. Some tears have fallen harder than usual. But, I'm keeping it together. I'm moving forward.

In an earnest effort to move forward and heal my wounds, I began attending weeknight church services with Cece last week. Her church is celebrating its 14th anniversary by hosting guest pastors on weeknights and Sunday services for the next few weeks. I was ready for a word from the Lord last Wednesday, and that was exactly what I got. I was so motivated by what the pastor said, I decided to come back the following evening for more inspiration and healing.

Now, I fully intend to post my notes from each sermon in the coming days. I'm attending church tonight as well, and hoping that God will speak directly to me as He has been doing so often within the past two weeks. But, the "N!gga Moment" I encountered was en route to church from work. Being that Cece and I work together, we decided to carpool and grab dinner prior to the service. There were only a few options and we were in a hurry, so to KFC we went.

Mistake #1 - Oprah decided to give away free chicken last week. Y'all remember that? The decision to do so is not what offended me. I understood that it was a "grilled" chicken meal as opposed to fried - an encouragement to all overweight Americans to eat healthy. What was appalling, however, was the number of times I received Oprah's coupon in my inbox, on my listservs and various e-groups. N!ggas love them some chicken don't they? 'Specially if it's free chicken.

Mistake #2 - Why didn't I print that bad boy out?! My uppity self just knew I would not be near a KFC any time soon. But lo and behold, as soon as we drove into the overcrowded parking lot, there was no turning back. Literally - there were cars and people all around us. We were locked in, and had to eat there before we missed the opening prayer. As soon as we walked into the restaurant a young lady walked up to us and asked "y'all got a coupon?" The n!gga in me responded "Uh, I left it at my desk at work. Can I get a free meal anyway?" LOL. Huey would be so disappointed in me.

Mistake #3 - Y'all know black folk move slow. We stood in that line for 30 minutes. IN LINE. I developed an uncontrollable laughter at the comedy of it all. We were standing in line at KFC, where everyone around us was probably eating their free little meal, and we were about to spend $4+ on a two-piece combo. We were on our way to church, and would probably be late because we were so hungry for some chicken. We would be LATE to CHURCH because we were EATING CHICKEN. Does that not sound n!ggerish to you?

Mistake #4 - KFC is stingy as hell. They gave us two little fried chicken nuggets as opposed to the full grown chicken wings we thought we ordered. They should be ashamed. Cece and I called it a blessing in disguise though, because who really needs to consume all that greasy fried fast food anyway? They should owe me $2 for skimping on my meal. Y'all know how n!ggas get 'bout they money...

But then, I received my blessing from the Lord. We made our way to church, got seated, and began to worship (on a full stomach, no less!). God reminded me that, though I may be hurting now, there is joy in the morning. He has great things in store for me. He will never give me more than I can bear.

It's hard. I won't deny it. And, I'm looking forward to the day when I have my last first kiss. My last first argument. My one and only "true love". It's coming! It's coming. Until then, I must champion the small triumphs. I must smile often. Laugh even. And, every once in awhile, embrace something so small - but so humerous - like a N!gga Moment. Thanks, Mr. McGruder! And above all, thanks be to God.

0 remarks...: