BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Perfection Breeds Contempt

My real problem is that I hold myself to a standard of perfection that I’m now realizing is unattainable. I am a complete wreck when things beyond my control take place, because it affects my ability to be “perfect”. In college, after participating in a pageant and joining an honors fraternity, I began to receive more attention than normal. After pledging a Greek letter org, that attention grew exponentially. By senior year, I might as well have been a local celebrity. And – that’s not to brag, it was just a reality – I was able to maintain a level of perceived “perfection” in most aspects of my life. Now, my personal life got a bit messy (to say the least), but in hindsight, I didn’t really mind that. I feel like personal lives should be just that – personal. Because, if you take a look into ANYBODY’S personal life, you will see some mess. I’ll leave it at that.

Right now, though, it’s incredibly difficult to maintain that level of perfection. And I won’t say that the standards were low in college – because they weren’t. It was probably harder to be “perfect” at an HBCU than it is at my job. Currently, because I have so little control, and feel the weight of so many of life’s pressures, I must say I’m really beginning to feel the burden. Every time I look up, something else is wrong. My check engine light is on, though I just took my car out of the shop. I’m finding difficulty in sticking to personal calendars I’ve set for longer-term goals (like business school). Every responsibility at my job is “urgent” and I never have enough time to catch up. How am I supposed to impress these people if, in their eyes, things are not getting done “perfectly” in an expedited manner? It’s stressful. My apartment is a mess. I’m not enjoying my roommate situation… but I can’t control that either. I can make strides to change what bothers me, but I can’t control another human being…

I am just finding it difficult to get back in stride with the life I’m accustomed to. I know that bumpy roads are a part of life, but all these pot holes and speed bumps I’m encountering on this long, uphill road are starting to do serious damage. I feel like I’m drifting farther and farther away from the concept of “perfection”. It is disconcerting to say the least.

1 remarks...:

CCG said...

The crazy thing is that drive for "perfection" that leads to "contempt" will evolve into "maturity". As life continues and we find ourselves knocked down, challenged and bearing heavy burdens, maturity helps us develop a sincere appreciation for the good times, the times when we feel we have reached "perfection". The journey and struggle to get there sucks, but the harder it is the more you appreciate it. Lean on those around you, that is why we are here... Yours is coming, promise :)