BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, November 6, 2008

$600 Oil Change

On Monday, I woke up feeling okay. I had just returned from a fun-filled Halloween weekend. I had gone home, seen my parents and younger sister, and endured a twelve-hour road trip with two of my closest friends. There's no place like home, and it was refreshing to have gone back, even if only for three days.

I woke feeling okay even though, technically, I was unemployed. It was my first official day without a job. And while, usually, I would have felt discouraged and sub-par... I was fine. I took my car to the Honda dealership for a routine oil change and tire rotation. Got back on the road to apply for some part-time jobs when I heard a faint squeaking noise. "It will go away," I thought to myself. I drove to Ann Taylor, Banana Republic and a few local restaurants to submit resumes. Even once I got back on my feet with a full-time gig, I would need supplemental income to fund my Business School applications and miscellaneous fees. I was on my grind. But that damn squeaking noise was getting on my nerves.

So, I took Jada (my car) back to the dealership. One of the mechanics hopped in to drive around with me so I could point out the noise. Hm. "Well," he said, "if we find that the noise is related to the work we just did, we'll repair it for free. However, if it's not, we'll need to do a diagnostic test to figure out what the problem is. $95.00."

Great. I don't have that kind of money, but I also can't afford to drive a malfunctioning vehicle. "Alright," I said. "Let's see what the problem is."

He comes back and - long story short - my "routine oil change" has turned into a $600 Crank Pulley Replacement. He tells me to go home and "think about it" but not to drive the car.

I drive alright... to the gym. To clear my head. But, as I turn off the car, I hear the lingering cricket-like sound of little Jada in pain. I re-start the engine and drive to the nearest Midas. I want a second opinion.

"Yup," the second mechanic confirms, "you need to get that replaced." Tears begin to well up. Why is this happening to me. I just lost my job. I'm under enough pressure as it is, and the one measly part I need to fix my car is $400 and can only be purchased through the dealership. Add labor and taxes to the bill, and you have yourself my rent and utilities for the month of December. What to do.

I return to Honda, and I can't even fight it. I'm boo-hoo crying in front of the kind old man who has greeted me three times in one single day. After an hour in the waiting room, someone comes in to confirm what I already know - I need a new, outrageously expensive part for my car. They will have to order it, and it will be in tomorrow. "Don't drive the car," are the mechanic's parting words. I drive home, deep in thought, pondering just how desperately I really need these repairs. If I weren't so damn AWARE all the time, I would have left the dealership and been on my merry way. And... how come I only heard the noise AFTER I brought the car in for another reason? I'm not necessarily a conspiracy theorist, but I do find it highly problematic that this "thing" that "has" to be done for my vehicle went undetected until I brought the vehicle back for closer inspection and can only be done at Honda, using expensive parts.

I thought about waiting until Tuesday to get the repairs done... and decided against it. "It still drives," I thought to myself. And with that, I packed my suitcase and headed far, far away from my apartment. I needed a vacation - a real one. I was going to see Dionne, and perhaps the boy. God willing, Jada would be able to get me there.

What do you know? She did. And, I'm starting to feel okay again.

0 remarks...: