BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Play It By Ear

It's crazy how quickly things can change in this life. I'm finding that the best way to get through some of life's challenges is to change with the changes.

On Monday, I received a package from the boy. A Christmas present with a card. Now, they were both thoughtful and sweet, but the card is what really stood out. The cover was silly - a man xeroxing his ass on the company copier - but the words seemed to require some reading between the lines. He said that he'd enjoyed getting to know me again... and that I should be more willing to take chances. Hmm.

Two days later, he was in my city for New Years Eve. I know, right?! With all the craziness and the "I'm Over It" post... he made his way to see me. Well, he made his way here to party with his friends.... but a little piece of me knows that he wanted to sneak in some quality time on the side. I'm happy about that. To be honest, he had mentioned coming to town awhile ago, but I paid him no mind. He's done that before, remember? Fool me once...

Wednesday afternoon, he texts me asking about hotels downtown. I'm busy searching for new apartments (our lease is up in February!!) but I text a few suggestions back. By 8:00 pm, after a few margaritas with Anisa and friends, I call asking if he's here. To my amazement, he is. He asks where we're going tonight, and I absentmindedly tell him, knowing that he probably won't show up.

After an hour of primping (nice long shower, plucking my eyebrows, self-served lipwax, painting my toenails, and finally settling on the perfect dress (one that's been sitting in my closet with the tag on it for about three years)) I prepare myself a Red Bull & Vodka, and make my way intown. I pick up Anisa and "Lucy" (one of Anisa's closest friends) and we head to the club. As soon as we reach the bar, I look to my right and see him. Has he gotten taller?! Man he looks good. And I'm too sober for this. I pretend not to see him, expedite our drink order, and usher Anisa and Lucy upstairs. I will catch up with him later.

Later, he and his friends come up to the second floor, and all the introductions are made. His boys meet my girls, and we cozy up to one another. It's so nice to see him. I'm so glad that he's finally in my city! "You said that you were over me awhile ago, but I don't think you are... because you still catch a little attitude every now and then," he says referencing our two-day speaking hiatus over the David Yurman comment. What?! LOL. It's so true, and I can't even deny it, so I just smile. He knows he's right... and we end up playing a game of cat-and-mouse for the rest of the night (mostly consisting of me relocating to another part of the club, innocently talking to some other guy, and he coming up behind me and humping my back to claim me). It almost felt like an updated version of that college jealously I've mentioned before. And the thing is, after further conversation, I come to find out he doesn't even realize what he said that made me so upset in the first place (isn't that always the case?). So, I'm letting that one go... for now. Some things never change.

Well, by the end of the night, some decisions need to be made... like where is he sleeping tonight: The Westin or at my humble abode? I'll leave it to the readers to guess what happened...

0 remarks...: