BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Oh, the Places You'll Go

So I mentioned that March was a busy month. Coupled with the ongoing grind of working 9+ hours each day, I was overdue for some R&R and what better excuse than celebrating 25? Though I had taken my actual bday off, I decided it was necessary to take off every other Friday in the month of March as well. O.D. The next weekend, I was jetsetting to Chicago to see my friend Matthew in yet another play. This man is going places. And, I’m not just saying that because he was my best bud in high school, and continues to make me laugh to this day. I’m saying it because he’s a truly talented artist who will one day grace the stage of Saturday Night Live and introduce the world to an insightful but playful humor that I’ve known since the 7th grade.

“Maybe, Baby, It’s You,” was a poignant look at a series of love stories. This montage of vignettes captured a variety of scenarios ranging from awkward high school crushes, to over-the-top wedding ceremonies. One of my favorite stories involved a seasoned couple watching their grandson play baseball at a local park. Though they were separated, they still managed to find that the same things that made them fight inevitably made them smile. Love is so powerful. Catch some of the reviews here: http://www.cheekychicago.com/maybe-baby-its-you/ and http://www.steadstylechicago.com/maybebaby.htm. It didn’t hurt that the cozy venue allowed us to purchase and sip beer as we enjoyed the show. Matthew’s assembly of high school and college friends (me included) hooted and hollered throughout the play. I’m sure that contributed to at least one positive review, as a local magazine writer was there for opening night just as we were. The energy in the Shakespearian theater was magnetic – full of lighthearted but thoughtful skits that truly captivated each member of the audience.

In the days that followed, we celebrated St. Patrick’s Day by watching the city dye the river green, and then drank ourselves into a frenzy. We consumed lots of college basketball as well, as each conference was in the midst of their respective tournaments. I met up with two of my dad’s sisters (one of whom I had not seen since I was 10) for dinner and lots of catching up. All the excitement of Friday and Saturday had drained me to the point that I collapsed on one aunt’s hotel bed, not to awake until the next morning. Sunday was restful. I retreated back to Matthew’s place to pack up my things, and give him one last hug. “We have to do this again soon!” I beamed. I had not had that much fun in a while.

The next weekend, it was time for a tan. To South Beach went! Lucy, Anisa, one of Anisa’s co-workers and I made our way to one of the most exotic and exhilarating cities in the country for four nights of debauchery… or so we had hoped. Anisa’s godfather picked us up from the airport, and sped us home to his and his wife’s picturesque mansion for a quick change and a few shots. Yes – Anisa’s godparents watch us drink their alcohol, and then hand us their car keys to do what we will for the rest of the night. No, for real… like, they are just that cool.

Thursday night kicked off nicely enough. We ended up at some random bar on the strip, and danced the night away on stage with the DJ. It was magical. While I halfway noticed the hundreds of eyes watching me pulsate and grind to every song, I was more in love with the three other young ladies on stage with me – flipping their hair, snapping pictures, and winding their hips just like me. So. Fun.

Friday was amazing. Lots of sun, ice cold ocean waves, and handfuls of college spring breakers to liven the beach. The night began with lots of potential. We pre-gamed in the kitchen, trying to determine which spot would be the most fun for the evening. We ended up at a cool enough place… early enough to hear the music DJs typically play before the crowd gets live. We were all a little bored by it, but had no other real alternatives… We left anyway. That decision ended up being a mistake. After about 30 minutes of walking around, the girls were antsy and ready to go home. Everyone except Anisa, that is.

It was kind of all downhill from there. I suppose everyone's expectations of the trip were different, thus making plans (and actually executing them) was difficult. I was perfectly content tanning all day, drinking all night, and chilling all around. I think Anisa, though, wanted to go hard and PARTY the entire time. For some reason, estrogen has a hard time compromising… especially when four female minds are at odds. To that end, Saturday was a blur. Though we had hustled our way into one of the hottest night clubs in the city, and danced our asses off for a number of hours, there was still more fun to be had. Some of us were down to keep going; others of us were just ready to go home. Tension began to build, and came to a head that night. In short, I learned a lot of things about my dear friend – some of which I’m still trying to digest.

Traveling, sometimes, is about more than reaching a new geographic location. It becomes a catalyst for voyages we take within our actual friendships. I went to Chicago to watch Matthew – and ended up actually seeing him. I saw a handsome, accomplished, driven young man, with whom I’ve shared many memories and will undoubtedly create many more. I traveled to South Beach to kick it with my girls – and wound up wading though the depths of Anisa’s troubled heart. It’s insane the façade a girl can keep up. I was astonished to learn so much about one of my BEST FRIENDS in the passenger seat of a car in the wee hours of the morning. But, I guess that’s what it’s all about. Sharing experiences. Gaining insight. Building upon solid foundations. Learning. Laughing. Growing.

The Single Aesthetic champions a person’s ability to realize just that.

0 remarks...: